Sunday, February 7, 2016

Run From That Past: My Generation

When I originally wrote this, I wasn't sure who I meant by this specific group of people. After a few weeks, I decided the "generation" I place myself in (and the ones I describe in this post) are people who graduated (or were meant to graduate) high school between the years of 2008 and 2012. So, if you got your High School Diploma in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, or 2012, this post is for you :) Enjoy!

To The Generation Labelers:

Good day, ladies and gents. I have some words for you.

When I was younger, I was told my generation was labeled the “Millennia’s Children” or something to that effect.

Then, it was Doomsday Survivors, Mayan Calendar Conquer’s and, my personal favorite, The Raptured.

Well, with all of those set aside, now I am hearing the word “entitled”.

I have a list of E- words we are:

Excited
Empowered
Empty Vessels
Encouragers
Elite Few
Entertainers
Entrepreneurs 
Engaged in Life
Ever-Changing, consequently, Ever-Adapting

So, I will accept any of these words, but I will not accept entitled. I have nice things yes, but I have labored for them. 

I learned how to do laundry at age 9. My mother paid me $10/hr at this age to pay for school clothes, birthday presents, and so on. I purchased an iMac and HP printer in 2014 and had it paid off by early 2015. (Thanks to my dear husband’s help).

I drive a Corolla that was given, but then payments were burdened upon my parents. Now we tag team it in a sense. Luke and I pay car insurance and registration fees ($200/month for insurance, about $350 for the registration). While my parents make the monthly payments for the vehicle itself.

The only debt Lucas and I have is our credit card that we keep current. This is to establish credit history because we are quite young. Our parents help us with our health insurance because it gained them lots of money to take us off of their plans. At least for my parents, this was the case. His and my parents also tag team this cost 50/50.

In case you are wondering, I am a white female. Age 23. Born in Idaho, raised partially in Washington, then partially in Idaho again. I have lived in California, Utah, and Nevada as well. We pay our rent, and the only federal assistance we receive is Financial Aid from our University. I work part time (28 hours a week) and Lucas can only work 20 hours for the school. Both of these jobs are hourly. I went for the full time position at my job and was not selected.

Therefore, whoever you are, please, don’t ever. Ever. Refer to my generation as entitled. We are anything but. 


A. Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment