Wednesday, March 10, 2021

For My Dad

 The memories play,

sometimes on repeat.

Depending on the day,

they'll sweep me off my feet.

I think of you,

your laugh, your smile,

What you would do

to make me feel worth while.

I drive the streets alone,

wondering what you'd say

If these streets lead me home,

and you'd be there today.

Would you be proud

of all that I've done?

Would you cheer so loud

for all the battles I've won?

How would you respond

When I tell you of my life?

Would it make you fond,

and tell Lucas he has a good wife?

What jokes would you make

that would have me roll my eyes?

What drives would we take,

if we never had to say goodbye?

What games would you play

with my two girls,

and my son on the way?

How would the world

be so different today..

If you were still here,

sitting next to me,

Telling me all the stories

and things that could be?

You said to never give up,

not on my dreams,

not on my wants,

and not on my needs.

You taught me to love.

You taught me to be proud.

You taught me to care,

But the silence has become loud.

I yearn to hear what you think,

What you would really say.

I hurt to hear your words:

It'll be ok.

The memories have held me,

They've gotten me through now.

But now I can't help but wonder:

Would life be better somehow 

If you were here?

If you had gotten to stay?

Maybe everything

wouldn't be this way.

I miss you more 

With every day that passes.

I still think of you 

Each time I clean my glasses.

I'll always wish you could be

Right here, right now,

Laughing and sitting with me.

Oh how I long 

For my daughters to know

Just how incredibly strong

And wonderful you are.

I'll tell them stories,

I'll show them pictures,

But nothing compares 

To having a hug a bug 

Whose warmth could melt any winter.

I'll watch the sunsets

And wonder where you are. 

I'll be kind and loving,

And hope you're not far.

I hope you can see me now,

And I know it wasn't the end.

I'll keep talking to you somehow,

And I can't wait 

Until we meet again.


-Allison S. Dahl



No comments:

Post a Comment