Monday, December 10, 2012

A Little Bit of Allison: Kindness

Alright, I'm kind of a sucker. And the person who inspired this post will probably roll their eyes at me, because to him..it was probably just a simple compliment, but to me, well it resulted in a full on post.

I think today, as a society, we overlook kindness and may even view it as a weakness. The particular form of kindness I want to write about is complimenting someone, or expressing your appreciation for something they've done.

I had an interesting Sunday night which lead to an uneventful Monday. Basically, my whole day was altered because of the events from last night. So, when I received a text from an old friend complimenting things I had written, it really turned everything around. I can guarantee that this friend merely wanted to share that he thought what I had written was good, and nothing more. I bet you he didn't think of the impact it would have. So here I am wondering, how is it that this simple text message made my mediocre Monday an enjoyable one? It really did turn my whole evening around and actually made me smile. That also makes me wonder how we as a people can view kindness as weak when it has so much power over one person? It's interesting to me that through grade school, and I'm sure we all experienced this one way or another, the kid who was the mean one generally had more power over us. The bully was the top kid. Why is that when a simple "you look nice today" can do so much more for a person than pushing them down? I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that a lot of times we might hold back a compliment because we don't want to look like ninnies, but if we only said it, oh what an impact it would have made!

So, I guess after all this rambling, the one thing I want you to gain from this post is that kindness goes much further than we ever give it credit for. That one friend's text tonight made a world of difference in my life, so go ahead and make someone else's night. :)

-Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment