Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Explained: Music Box

Being that I constantly change my mind about how this blog is set up, I have decided that with each poem I write, I will then do an "Explained" version of it. Basically these posts will just be (obviously) explanations of the poem and my thoughts about it. We'll see how this works.

Music Box was the first poem I wrote after taking my long break of writing poems. My mom was actually playing the piano while I wrote it and her playing definitely inspired this. I thought about how music boxes tend to evoke some sort of feeling within us, and often times that can be a heart breaking feeling. Have you ever noticed that you can take pretty much any tune and if it's played by those music box notes, it can be really sad? Or it can put you to sleep--whichever. Anyways, so I thought about how there are some music box tunes that can just be so sad, yet no one ever said they had to be. It could just be a tune that there aren't any words to, but you feel sad nonetheless. So with all these thoughts combined came this poem. I wouldn't say it's my favorite poem I've written, but I do love the last two lines. That definitely wrapped up the poem well for me.

-Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment