Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Little Bit of Allison: Controversial

Warning: This blog post contains sensitive subjects and topics that may be offensive to some people. I declare this as my own opinion and it does not reflect those of anyone else. In my twenty one years of living, these are some conclusions I have come to. Once again, it does not reflect any opinion of anyone else, including the religious group I belong to. If you find offense to what I say, be angry with me. No one else.

Alright, that warning was true. I am going to post this because I'm tired of scrolling through my Facebook feed and not saying how I feel about controversial issues. I will not be apologetic about what I cover and what I say. This is how I feel, and this is who I am. How you take it is your choice, whether you agree or not. I can't emphasize enough that these are MY opinions. Yes, some of them may be common opinions/beliefs, but as I said: Be angry with me if you don't like it, not my church or friends. So, here we go.

Abortion

I figured I'd start with this one because it seems to be a trending issue that is in secret, but continually getting stronger. I know in some circumstances, such as rape, abortion can be considered. When it comes to a decision you've made with your partner to share that intimacy and then you end a life because it wasn't planned, that's not ok. There are several pictures that explain this perfectly. Somehow baby elephants and whales in the womb need to be protected and saved, but when it comes to a baby human and accepting responsibility, somehow it's ok to "get rid of it" or "take care of it" by ending its life? Really? What have we come to as a society to portray that we don't want our young just because we aren't ready? I of all people was not ready to have a child. I had a good body and a life I didn't want to give up. Yes, abortion was an option, but one that I never thought twice about making. There are SO many couples who have been ready and waiting for children. So if you don't want the responsibility of a child, bring joy to someone else's life. (I placed AdelĂ© because I loved her, not because I didn't want her, but that's a story you already know.) Bottom line, don't be selfish and end someone's life just because it isn't what you wanted.


Gay Marriage

This is a topic I've always brushed off by saying it's "tricky". I'll be honest with you, I don't mind people who are homosexual. That's their decision to live that lifestyle. I used to think it was a choice to have those tendencies. As I've gotten older, I've realized it isn't always a choice to feel that way, only a choice to act on it. My religion teaches that marriage in our temples is between man and woman. I believe this with every part of me, and I plan to do that in my own life. That being said, people who are homosexual deserve a right to be happy in their lives as well. Now, as far as legalizing gay marriage, I'm partial. What I am against is when homosexuals will question why they can't get married in our temples. That is something I will stand firmly in my belief. In our temples, marriage is between man and woman. ONLY man and woman. That is the one way two imperfect humans can become closer to God and develop a home that is like unto heaven on earth. As far as treating homosexuals as less or being "homophobic", I say to you: Who do you think you are? The second commandment given from God to the world is to "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Is a homosexual no longer your neighbor because he/she doesn't practice the way you do? No. They are still children of a loving Heavenly Father, and it is NOT our place to decide their fate. Will they go to hell? I don't know, and neither do you. That is not our decision. As President Uchtdorf said concerning gossiping and being unkind: Stop it. Love one another, whether they act the way you'd like them to or not. Let Heavenly Father work out the rest.

Premarital Sex

This is obviously something I know about from experience. I am not married yet, but I can tell you this: I will not share that intimacy in any form until I have been married in The Holy House of The Lord. There is an excellent video going around in which a man describes what sex is supposed to be. It is the coming together of man and woman to become one. When done outside the bonds of marriage, it is destructive and harmful. It is toying with one of the best gifts from God: procreation. Sex isn't only meant to create beautiful children, it is also to bond. Practicing this as recreation or just for fun is demeaning and disrespectful to our loving Heavenly Father. It mocks the very purpose of coming to this life and enjoying it to the fullest. I can tell you from my own experience, when you "sleep with" your boyfriend or girlfriend, they do not "love" you. They do not respect you. They lust after you. The only thing they want is a gain, and the more you give it to them, the less they truly care for you. You have become an item to them that serves their selfish and harmful desires. Bottom line: premarital sex is for the weak. Intimacy within the bonds of marriage is for the bold and brave, the strong and the determined. The people who wait are not "lame" or "prude", they are smart and understand things at a level most can't comprehend.


Alright, those are the three topics I chose to give my opinion on. Lastly, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love my religion and its practices. The people of my church aren't perfect, so give us a break when we mess up. I strive to love my Heavenly Father more and more each day and become like the Savior. If I have offended you, once again, these are my words. I will not apologize for them, but I will let you know that they are from me and my life experiences. Thank you for reading.

-Allison Susanne De Arton

No comments:

Post a Comment