Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Little Bit of Allison: Mutual Wave

I have an itching I should change the name of this blog to "A Little Bit of Allison". I mean, "And the journey begins..." is a nice name, but I wonder if it has worn itself out. I mean, how many times does the journey begin? My specific journey begins everyday, yes, but at the same time, it's ongoing. Hm. Something to consider I suppose.

Alright, as promised, this is the blog I gave my Facebook friends a sneak peak to. I will actually post a couple pictures on this one, so you know it has to be good ;) (The only other post with a picture is the adoption post and that one received over 1,300 views...and still counting). So my friends, without any further delay, let us begin. The Mutual Wave...

Lately I've been on a running kick. I have always loved running, and it's definitely convenient to say I love it when introducing myself. Unfortunately with school, work, and other life circumstances, running fell short on my priorities list. Well, the beginning of this semester, I wanted to change my life drastically. I don't know what it is about the new year, (and I'm sure most can agree) but it gives me a sense of over-hyped confidence. Most years I am awesome in January, and by February I'm depressed I haven't kept up my goals and am drowning my sorrows in Valentine's Day chocolates. Oh and these chocolates, mind you, were purchased by myself, not the prince charming boyfriend that I have yet to have on V-Day. This year, however, I was going to prove to be different. Let's get real--2013 was probably my least favorite year of all time. It shaped me to become the best me in 2014...we'll put it that way. (I will never regret 2013 or wish to change any part of it, just saying). So, there were several goals I set for myself. Instead of saying "I wish I was thinner", I wrote "I will be thinner." My determination grew when suddenly I spent less time wishing, and more time doing. My goals that I've chosen to share are as follows:
I will be more active.
I will exercise when time allows.
I will show kindness to everyone, including bratty guests at my workplace who decide that I'm a waste of their time.
I will graduate from my extensively hard program at EITC
I will balance my time according to my priorities.
I will not be too busy to pray, read my scriptures, or spend at least a moment to thank my Heavenly Father for something beautiful around me.
...And lastly...
I will do everything in my power to share my happiness, when I gain it, with others.

This was a long list of goals. There were a couple I left out, but future blog posts may (or may not) be available so you can know them too.

Instead of writing about each individual goal, I decided I will pick three. (Three topics a post seems to be trending on my blog. I kinda like it.) So, we'll start with the one that inspired my title.

I Will Be More Active/Exercise When Time Allows

So, I won't lie, I'm not crazy about my working out schedule. Like I said, I don't get to run as often as I'd like. I still love it, but I don't look like I do. Within the last week or so, I've decided to run a 4.5 mile loop and made the determination to NOT STOP. It didn't matter how slow or fast I went, I just could not walk. First time I ran it, I didn't stop :). Today is the third time I've done it, and my friends I am proud to say: I HAVE NOT STOPPED! It's so exhilarating. One thing I love about running my loop is that there are some bike riders or other walkers/runners. My favorite thing about seeing people in the morning working out is that there is a mutual wave. It's the two seconds you take to look at each other, raise your hand or nod your head, and those seconds you both know: you've accomplished something. You're out there getting endorphins and so are they. It's like a club or something. The nod, the mutual wave. You both know you're awesome, and you don't care who else knows.

I Will Not Be Too Busy For Heavenly Father

I have stated on this blog that I am a Latter Day Saint of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Well friends, this is still true and always will be. I had a counselor tell me that it didn't matter what circumstance you are in, if you give your time to Heavenly Father, your whole outlook will change. He and the Savior have given us so much, so the LEAST I could do is take 15-20 minutes out of my day to read some scriptures and say my prayers. I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior, and I love the relationship I have with Them. There have been so many miracles in my life that I can not give any other credit for. Their love for each of us is incomprehensible. So the few minutes I give to Them each day and the three hours each Sunday seem minimal compared to what They have given me.

Last but not least...

I Will Do Everything In My Power To Share My Joy

Positivity.


For those of you who are my Facebook friend, you've seen this picture. It's the sneak peak, and also my new pair of favorite shoes. I misquoted them on my page. They actually say, "Be the change in the world you wish to see" not want to see. 

I know I said earlier that I was done wishing and wanted to start doing, but there is still a part of me that wishes something every night at 12:34am if I'm still awake. I've done this for years, and I doubt I'll ever stop. One thing I wish for sometimes is for the world to be more positive. You turn on the news and it's like an instant life ruiner. So many awful stories that make the headlines. I agree that it's important to be knowledgeable, but sometimes some stories deserve the respect of silence. What I mean is if I were to die a terrible death by monkeys or something, I'd prefer that only my family knew. If my daughter were kidnapped then returned traumatized, I wouldn't want some telemarketer in South Virginia to read my story while idly browsing the news on her break. I would prefer my story of adoption that's filled with hope and sacrifice to be shared. I would prefer that my recovery story of having a mental illness be broadcast on Time Square letting people know that help is available. I would like to be the change of positivity where good tidings and joy come all year round, not just in December. So, I have these shoes that inspire me. Yes, they're pretty cute because they're Toms and they look good on me, but they also have the meaning of something more. Not only has Toms provided the One for One deal (where a child gets a pair of shoes because I bought one of theirs), I get to stand in the mirror and look at my shoes and myself and say "Be the change in the world you wish to see". 

Well my friends, this post is lengthy. A picture is worth 1,000 words I suppose. ;) Thank you for reading, and hey, help me out and be the change you wish to see. Oh, and don't forget to smile.

This is what I look like, by the way.


-Allison Susanne De Arton

No comments:

Post a Comment