Monday, December 7, 2015

Little Ray of Sunshine

Ok, so I suppose I should have said somewhere that I will still post things like poems or random posts that aren't part of my twice-a-month-series thing. Is that what it is called, by the way? Does anyone know? I know 'mini series' is more of a television thing, and chapters are part of a book...I can think of a bunch of other random terms, but none of them seem fitting. Let me know if you think you know how to define my mini series thing. Haha, anyway...

So yeah, I will still be writing here and there about other topics not written about in my..series. These posts just won't be as consistent as the "Run From That Past" ones are. I hope that makes sense ;)

Well, the inspiration for this post is kind of a long story, and is actually the opposite tone of what I'm going for. So, to save this post from losing it's positivity, I will spare you the back story.

As I've been going over what I've shared about living in Nevada, I've realized that I haven't told you guys the full truth. Yeah, I've been pretty clear that it's hard, but I don't think I've mentioned the good things. It's time to change that, my friends!

One thing Southern Nevada has is its beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I used to think Idaho had the best, which they have some pretty awesome ones, but now I have to put Idaho in second place. The mountains around us here are a bit closer than the ones in Idaho were. It's kind of like a bowl, so we're in a valley-type area. It isn't too great for the air quality, but man when the sun hits the mountains just right, I have to blink a few times to remind myself it's not a painting. The colors are so vivid in the sky, and the sun defines each cliff and ridge on the mountains, it's beautiful. When the sun comes up, the sky looks like it's on fire and the bright reds and oranges mix so perfectly with the dark blues and light purples. Man, I just can't get over how beautiful the desert can be.

When I started running every morning, I've realized I go early enough to run a little before the sun comes up. Then, by the time my run is over and I'm heading home, I get to stop and stretch while looking at the horizon fill up with magnificent colors.

I know it sounds cheesy, and honestly there aren't any fancy words that could paint a realistic picture in your minds, but sometimes we just need the little things. Sometimes when life seems lost and hopeless, it's the little rays of sunshine that keep us going. The small and simple daily things we may take for granted can take our breath away if we give them the chance.

While life can be hard down here, I sure am grateful for the sun and it's wonderful displays of rising and setting here. It makes me take a moment to stop, breathe, and admire the beauty of this world.

-Allison S. Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment