Monday, June 16, 2014

A LOT of Allison: I'm a De Arton, and Here's Why

Lucas: "There are three names in this town that if you have them, you get anything you want." (Lucas proceeds to list off three last names.)

At this point in the conversation, I grin and say,
"Idaho Falls is like that, too. Want to know one of the last names?"

Lucas laughs and says,
"Yeah.."

With a smirk and over-confident tone, I lean forward and say,
"De Arton."

Well, Happy Father's Day everyone!! I'd like to tribute this post to my father. His name is Greg. Gregory Dean. You may know him as Brother De Arton, Bro D., Papsi McStud, Grelt, or heck, Grig. My dad was born and raised in California as a young boy who had a brother 10 years older than him. Back in 1953, my dad was a charming little baby in April to two proud parents. Over his years of life, my father has done one thing my friends, and one thing alone. What is that? He has: impacted. That's the best word to describe the many gifts and treasures my dad has compiled and given to this world.

So, my dad met my mom and they fell madly in love in their short 3 months of dating. Over 30 years, 6 children, and 9 grandchildren later, my beautiful parents still laugh at their own dumb jokes. Yeesh, those two ;)

My dad has always been a hardworking man for my dear mother. Although I am the youngest and haven't seen it all, I do know my dad has been employed their entire marriage. Whether that job be a school bus driver in Idaho or a Seminary teacher across the midwest, my dad has always been pushing his shoulder to that wheel. (Even more so now, since he's a trucker and all).

When I was brought into this world when my dad was 40, his first words were "Ping!". Now, after having birthed a child, I now understand why that nickname is relevant. It also happens to be a nice golfing brand. Looks like I lucked out on that delivery table.

Not only was I lucky because I had the most amazing mother for a fun-fuel fired-fierce-redheaded baby like myself, I was lucky because I had a brilliant father standing in that same room at the Idaho Hospital.

Let me tell you a story about my dad and I. It begins with a Hug-a-Bug...a kiss on the forehead...and chuckle under a raspy deep breath...

It's 1998, and the tides are changing in the De Arton home. With one eldest daughter out of the house and 5 more kids to juggle, the news hits: The move is coming.
Move? What move?
Allison comes bouncing in, full of life and joy. 1st grade has been a blast, but now it's time for the real fun to begin: summer.

"Hey pingy! I have something to tell you!" A voice calls over from the couch.
Dad & Al, Aug. 2012
Allison is happy to see her beloved father and runs to him immediately.

Wrap my arms around his neck, hug him tight like this... Allison hums in her head as she approaches her daddy.

"What?! What's the big news?!" she yelps as she climbs into her father's arms.

"We're moving!"

Moving? We're moving?! I get to be the girl that "moved"?!?!

Allison has a grin beam across her face. She always wanted to be different, and now she got to be!! How thrilled that little girl was on that summer day when she found out that her home of 6 years was going to be changing. And not changing to another house, but another state. Another life.


I tell you that story because that sums up how my relationship is with my dad. Very exciting, very sudden, and has always been life changing.

I love you dad, and I always will. 

I'm so glad when daddy comes home, glad as I can be!
...I'll put my arms around his neck, hug him tight like this!
And then I'll give him a great big...whaaat??
A GREAT BIG KISS!!

(LDS Primary Song)

-Allison Susanne De Arton





No comments:

Post a Comment